View Single Post
      05-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #19
BMWE9X
Rep
Drives: F30 328i sedan -- E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticpiper View Post
I just got back from a (hot) weekend away and had exactly the same problem.
The outside temp was around 28deg C and with the A/C set at 18deg on auto it would work for an hour then the system stopped cooling and the fan speed dropped right down. Hitting the max button had no effect. I eventually turned it all off and sweated for 15mins then turned it back on to auto again and it started working again. On a 6hr trip this became very annoying. Phoning the dealer again today - it's already had a camshft replaced and the central door locks - very disappointed with my first BMW.............

Got a call from the dealer - they say it's the Evaporator Valve which has a tendency to "freeze up" when the A/C is being used to the max. Part on order - car off the road for two days.
"bmwlano" mentioned above that the problem was the compressor. Here you said it seems to be the evaporator valve... so which is it? Has anyone else with this problem gone to the dealer for a 411 on the intermittent A/C motor problem? In the E46 I replaced the "final stage unit" (blower motor resistor) to fix this exact same problem, but the E90 A/C is setup differently so I'm not sure if it is something like the "blower regulator" but from the above posts it seems to be the condenser or evaporator valve. Advice would be much appreciated if anyone else had this problem and fixed it. Thanks ahead of time!
Appreciate 0