View Single Post
      02-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
Alright, I'm new here so forgive me if I am missing some unwritten flame rules here, but I am curious about a few things with these two posts...

How does asking others if an extended warranty is worth x or y imply that someone can't afford a BMW? And do you realize that warranties cover cars for an extended period of time, no matter how old a car is when it is purchased?

I also thought that it is pretty clear when someone says $2400 $3900 that they don't mean $5000.

I also read in several places here that 335s are awesome cars but they have some issues that develop over time that can get expensive. Asking others that might have more experience with this model if they would sped x amount over the course of years 4 - 7 seems pretty reasonable to me. In fact I am mulling this same decision right now. How does that imply that someone thinks that a car is a piece of shit? More to the point, what is the value of that particular post? IMO, there is none.

It sounds like you got reamed with some big bill for something and you want others to experience the same, or you want others to think that you are filthy rich and you like throwing your money away. I have plenty of money, and that is partly because I think about what I spend my money on.

If you have value to add or a point to make, make it. Blasting someone for affect with really no point really is simply not helpful, and unoriginal.

To the OP, as I mentioned, I am also considering the ex-warr; however, I heard that it is transferable but not refundable. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If it is correct, for me it probably is probably worth holding off on this purchase until closer to the 4y50k limit.

Based on the miles you have on yours, now is the time and from on what I have read so far, on a 335 the ex war is definitely worth it. There will be repairs, and even if they don't total what you spend, the risk of the costs being significantly more are worth the difference IMO.

In general warranties are rip offs. They wouldn't offer them if they weren't making tons of money.

If you knowingly purchased a car that will be breaking then just admit its a piece of crap and pay for the warranty if you'll be ahead financially. The reality is you just need to add that much to the purchase price of he car.

I have a 330xi with 127K miles and no major repairs and no warranty. I will pay for repairs out of pocket if they happen and in the mean I keep my money and my car is not broken. Last I heard German engineering was pretty good stuff. I assure you the German engineers would be appalled at the idea of their customer's needing to buy extended warranties.
Appreciate 0