View Single Post
      01-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #20
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance91 View Post
Hey everyone. Since this is one of the top hits on google, I figured I'd add my write-up here.

So, on a few of the sites I've seen some debate on if you need to pull the intake manifold to do just the control module. I gave it a try today, and it only takes about 1 hour and basic hand tools (and your basic curse word repertoire) to get it done. It does require patience and care as it is a tight spot around some potentially brittle plastics and hoses.

Here is my (abbreviated) method:

Step 1: Remove the engine cover. Straight forward, for first timers you'll need to get used to this. Just 5 or 6 Allen head screws.

Step 2: To make this as easy as possible, I removed the dipstick. This is after trying with it in place. Its 2x 10mm bolts. One top and all the way rear, and one at the bottom, accessible with an open end. You then turn, twist, and pull the dipstick out carefully and set aside.

Step 3: Remove the small plug from the Glowplug Module. This can be done using a 90* pick or small jewlers screwdriver to gentle lift on the clip, and pull the plug out.

Step 4: I tried pulling the large connector first. It didn't work for me. So, using a 10mm ratchet, 10" extension, and magnet, I removed the 2x10mm nuts. Get the magnet first cause you will drop them.

Step 5: Pull the module loose, and fish it out so the large connector is accessible. This is why we removed the dipstick. Using a needle nose or other pliers, carefully open both clips on the large connector, and pull the module free.

Step 6. I put the large connector onto the new module first, then fished it back in place. I then bolted it down, and put the circular plug in last. Then replace the dipstick, taking care to route the 2-3 hoses and wires around it.

Step 7. You should probably run the car at this point, and check around that area for any coolant leaks, just in case something got moved or loose. Just a recommendation from experience. After this, place the cover on and you are all set.

Hopefully this will help anyone else out who was going to just jump on the intake removal. Its not necessary. We did our manifold earlier this year for some EGR delete stuff. It IS required if you want to do the glow plugs, however. I would in most cases do all 6 glow plugs and the module at once, and be done with it for 80k miles.
it can be done without removing any coolant hoses or the dipstick. Also. ;
Appreciate 0