View Single Post
      11-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

1) Other than the "normal" things to look for when considering buying a 335d, are there any 335d specific things that should be looked out for?

-Not sure what you mean by "normal", but the best place to start is service records. Was CBU cleaning done(happens to everyone, needs to be done), was the SCR replaced(happens to some, very expensive when out of warranty), was scheduled maintenance done? My car had immaculate service records with injector replacements and CBU cleaning. Gives you peace of mind that some expensive things aren't likely to break.

2) What are the most common issues people have had with these cars/engines?

-Carbon Buildup, SCR Tank failure, Harmonic Balancer Failure are the big ones. Harmonic Balancer can and should be done by yourself. Had I known this, it would have saved me $500 when I got the car. Carbon Buildup is usually the root cause of many problems with these cars, which is why many people opt to have it tuned and illiterate/have meth installed, in order to keep the ports clean. The SCR tank is insanely expensive if it goes out($7k is the last that I heard).

3) Are these typical diesels in that they'll run "forever" with proper maintenance?

-I also want to know this. There's plenty of people here that have high mileage with minimal issues, but it's fairly hit or miss on your luck there. Most cars run forever with proper maintenance, and diesels also tend to last even longer than that, but I don't know about these engines in particular.

4) What DOES typical maintenance consist of?

-If you mean just items, it's the same as every other car. Oil, filters, tires, brakes. Tires are expensive, and will go fast if you don't exercise self control. These cars just beg to be pushed. I do maintenance myself, so I'm not sure what a shop charges, but oil changes cost me about $80. I just did brake pads, rotors, and fluid for $450. Fuel filter is $50 or so.

If you have any questions just ask.
Appreciate 0