10-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #21
Lukemacwilliams
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

My 335D story and wanted Feedback.

Hey Everyone,
So, I am new to the Forum, and this is my first BMW. I have been looking through all the threads and reading about what to do with these cars, but I thought something that would be interesting is to tell my story and ask you guys for some uncandid opinions on my 335D and thoughts on “am I on the right track?” Or “should I let her go?”

This won’t be super long, I’ll give a little background, and then my thoughts on what I am thinking, but what I am really after is I would love to hear what your seasoned, knowledgeable, opinions are on my diesel story?

So I purchased this 2011 335D, in January of 2018, from my dad’s BMW mechanic in Pennsylvania, It had 91k on her and was priced at $12,600, the car had a clean carfax, however, there was a gap in history between 71K miles and where it was at 91K miles. I called BMW and asked if they can enlighten me on anything else changed/serviced on the car and they said the Knock sensor, SCR active tank, and the footwell module was replaced. So, Ok, the mechanic who is trusted said the 335d was solid. So, I took a small gamble and bought it. The car now has 111K and is running pretty solid.

As the story goes, here is the list of things I have done, or what needed to do be done since I’ve owned it. First thing I did was update the navigation to the most current one BMW has out, Then Bought a BMC air filter to replace the old one, Bought the Dinantronics Sport Performance Tuner for M57 engines, did the Burger Tuning Cowl filters, and Got rid of the run flats for Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires and then drove it to enjoy it.

After a while the first real issue hit. At 102K miles, the glow plugs went out. So I took it to a local shop, with a good reputation here in Jacksonville, FL. They recommended doing all the plugs and the module to fix the issue. While they were at it, they recommended doing a walnut blast for the intake ports and valves, clean intake manifold, clean EGR valve and secondary runners on the intake. I also did the Liqui moly engine flush and changed the oil to the Liqui moly 5w40. I Also needed to flush brake fluid because of too much moisture. Sooo, Ok, but that hurt at $2,400.

I roll my eyes, but, now that’s fixed I assume I’ll be good for a while, NO. After about 1k miles my SES light is back on and it’s… guess what, the glow plugs again. So I take it back to the shop and they say the reason the SES is on is because the swirl flaps. So, to fix it they say get the swirl flap deletes. Ok, So I do, and they install them and good to go, right. No again… after a week I took a long trip from Florida, to Tennessee, to Pennsylvania. Should be trouble free, however, WHILE going from TN to PA the SES light comes on again. After a few explicative words, I have it read and sure enough, the glow plugs are the culprit again. I called the shop, and they seem passive about it, saying who needs glow plugs in FL, well yes, but I paid for a service and you are not delivering, so I have an appointment for November to have them fixed it yet again since they parts and labor are under warranty – however, I am fairly frustrated with the issue.

Ok, so, Outside of the glow plug issues, the only other issues were recalls. I took it to the BMW dealer to have recalls completed, battery positive cable, and blower motor wiring, these were free so that was nice. And this was the last real issue I needed sorting out. Since then, it’s just been oil changes with Liqui moly, a much-needed alignment, and keeping it clean.

So before I hear your thoughts on all that, here are all mine. I need brakes soon, and I want to do a trans. Service for peace of mind. Then she should be really stable for a while? But, there is always the looming issue of all the SCR, DPF, EGR parts going out, as well as injectors, boost lines, and turbos going out, and all of that being expensive… I want to get back into track days, and while I love the torque and great mileage, I am not sure on do I spend the money to make her bulletproof or do I look for other options?

My last peace of mind, saving grace, for my 335d is my recent Blackstone lab oil report. They state all the metals and wear look very good for my M57 compared to others they have seen with the same millage. They state all the internal parts should be very healthy. So that made me feel good.
With all that, let’s hear your thoughts on the direction I should go with Barb (my girlfriend named her, and it stuck) the 335D.