Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleShrek View Post
E90 LCi 328i
Going Arc-8 18×9.5 et 35 rear
Am i able to run a 40 series tire without rubbing issues??
This is a great question! The 40 series sidewall is a bit too tall and can cause issues with traction control, and the accuracy of your speedometer. Additionally, when the tire sidewall is too tall you do run the risk of scrubbing. We would recommend running the proper overall diameter on any BMW. This will always ensure that the car is performing as intended. I have listed our fitment recommendation below:

Front: 18x8.5" ET35 or ET38 with 235/40-18 tires
Rear: 18x9.5" ET35 with 265/35-18 tires
  • Popular fitment
  • 245/40-18 front tires can be used.
  • 275/35-18 rear tires may require rolled fenders and/or negative camber depending on ride height.
  • LCI sedan and wagon may require rolled rear fenders and/or negative camber to prevent rubbing. 255/35-18 rear tires may be used as a direct fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54rsenal View Post
I second this question as I'd like more sidewall also.

Has anyone ever run a 255/40/18 or 275/40/18 tire?
This is the normal wheel/tire size of a F80 M3!
As an extension of what was stated above, we would NOT recommend running these tire sizes, as they are outside of the proper overall diameter for the E9x chassis. Every BMW has a different threshold for the tire heights that will work. The F80x can house the sizes you have listed because the chassis is completely different than that of the E9x.

Fitting these sizes on the E9x chassis will result in quite a few issues, with rubbing being one of them. We always recommend fitting wheels and tires that maintain proper factory overall diameter. This means that a 40 series sidewall on the E9x chassis with an 18" wheel is too tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
I run a 275/40/18 MPSS on my F31
For the F3x chassis, clearly this size can work but is not recommended. We have seen this done in the past and we are glad to see that is works on your F31! Just to reiterate the statement above, the F3x is a much bigger chassis than the E9x, and thus the fitments will be different.

This size is a bit taller than the factory overall diameter by 2.37%, we generally would not recommend exceeding the factory diameter by more than 3%. However, when the tire sidewall is too tall you do run the risk of scrubbing. This is most noticeable on the front end of the car as the wheel turn inside the wheel well.

I hope this was helpful information. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks!
- Max