View Single Post
      05-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #25
trading10
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Several months ago, the belt frayed and wrapped itself around the crank, though the indy shop said it did not penetrate the front main seal. Dealer did not identify that seal as a possible leak source, so I'm assuming that it's ok. The repair bill on that was the $1100 I mentioned in a previous post - new tensioner, belts, and something else I forget at the moment. I think the harmonic balancer was ok, but I don't recall if they said anything about the tensioner being bent too close.

Question: would any of these leaks or possible leaking points cause the engine to misfire at idle? The idle is normally 650rpms, but since it has been idling with an occasional sputter, rpms settle at about 750'ish. When I took the car out for a test drive BEFORE putting in a set of high output coil packs (BavAuto/ECS) and factory bosch plugs (4 prongs), the tuning app, MHD, showed the cyl 1 timing correction going bonkers when maintaining speed in any gear, but was normal when accelerating or decelerating. No error codes to work with to find out more. AFTER putting in the high output coil packs, the misfires continue, but the cyl 1 timing correction was no longer going bonkers. When I put in the new plugs and coil packs, I did not see any oil accumulation around the plug holes. The color of the old plugs looked ok - no oily plugs or evidence of fouling that I could see.

Sorry for being so wordy - just trying to be a bit more precise for clarity.

Btw, thank you, everyone, for contributing so much information and experience. That kind of participation is what makes this forum an amazing resource for all. You guys are the best.

Last edited by trading10; 05-25-2019 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0