Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Ive really been waffling on one of those. I totally WANT one but I currently have a race jack and 4 forklift jack stands (seriously shop those, once you get those you despise regular jack stand). So its only like 5 minutes to get the car off of the ground.

Honestly the reason I havent bought one is because my E90 has been to reliable to justify it. I guess it would be nice for oil/coolant/brake change as well but even those Im not having to do too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
6500 dollas? For that kind of coin they better buy drinks, dinner, and set you up with one of those massages where they provide complete service.
And a hell of a lot better one than Robert Kraft got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Shit, for $6,500, you could buy and install 2-post lift in your garage, do the DIY, and STILL save about $2,000.
They really that cheap? Sadly I dont have enough height for that but the quickjack would be possible.

But seriously though to the OP, Ive got probably $4000 in tools I have collected over the past couple of decades working on the cars/motorcycles but have likely saved 20k+ in doing the work (probably 30k if I really researched on the motorcycles). And once you buy the tool you have the tool, so its free next time. Plus you get the know that YOU did it right, not some idiot kid at the dealership or oil change place.
The only way I could personally justify one, is if I was doing one of the following;

1) Rear Main Seal
2) Turbos
3) Oil Pan Gasket

I've done the oil pan gasket on jack stands; it's doable that way. Turbos I could see being done on jack stands, but I don't imagine it would a whole lot of fun. The rear main? I'm not sure it could be done on jack stands. Maybe?
Appreciate 0