05-17-2023, 04:28 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
For sure, I’ve watched many videos of replacing the front crankshaft seal and realized that doing that is beyond me right now.

I ordered the tool for replacing it and have the part/materials, I really wanted to do this all myself but I’m paying someone to come out that’s done it before. I’ll watch them and learn.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but how have you verified none of the serpentine belt did not get past the crank seal and into the oil sump? And the person coming to replace the seal, have he/she done such work on the N54 previously? I hope from watching the vids that you know the crank hub pulley bolt does not get removed to remove the harmonic balancer. The harmonic balancer is held to the crank hub via six bolts. The hub is not indexed to the crank, so loosening and removing the crank hub bolt releases the clamping force on the crank gear that drives the cam chain, which risks upsetting the timing between the crankshaft and camshafts. The six bolts can be a PIA to remove without the proper tools to hold the crankshaft stationary. I found the easiest method is to use an air impact butterfly wrench.

Back to the spark plug. That has me now concerned because if the engine was serviced properly, at 150,000 miles, the plugs you just replaced should have been at a minimum the 3rd set and only in the head for the last 60,000 miles. As I stated earlier, there should be no reason the plug is stuck in the head other than it was improperly installed and is crossthreaded in the head. Just be prepared to need a thread coil insert once the plug is out, or a new cylinderhead will be necessary as a worse case. Usually a professional mechanic will want to remove the cylinderhead to repair the sparkplug hole thread. Definately take the car to a German auto shop that can repair the head with a thread-coil insert. Ask them up front about their ability to remove the plug and repair the thread in the sparkplug hole. A stuck sparkplug is not a good situation.

Good luck with everything. The lesson here is only let professional BMW trained mechanics work on a BMW. Non BMW mechanic will FUBAR a BMW in a heartbeat and charge you for it.
Appreciate 1