View Single Post
      09-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #48
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Thanks for posting this info up. I have a set of Strongflex yellows waiting to go in the tension struts. It is obvious my TS bushings are blown (well one of them is). But the grease splatter made it look like the control arm bushings were leaking. I think it squirted out onto the driveshaft then got spun around everywhere. I am guessing based on what you posted, the CA bushings have no fluid? If not I may have bought new ones without needing to. Still waiting on tools (grrr) to do the TS bushings.
Assuming you inspected your CV joint boot, and all the ball joints boots to make sure they are not leaking.... The CA as you call it, does indeed have a rubber boot around the joint in question. I've never opened it, but I suspect there is indeed grease in there.

From your description, usually grease gets sprayed around like that if its the CV boot that has failed. Another option is that our struts also have oil in them and do sometimes leak it out when they are failing, but it will be a lighter viscosity than the grease in the other boots described.

To get the TS bushings out I had to buy a 20 ton press, the standard bushing puller set didnt have enough force without breaking, but some others seem to have had success without a press.

The reason I replaced my TS mount was because of pull during breaking, the strongflex yellow I got completely solved the problem.
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.
Appreciate 0