Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
You're both talking about the same thing and he's right.

The 2 caliper bolts need to be torqued in the 23-30 lb/ft range (on my phone, I thought it was 23 but it could be 30,will confirm when I get home) It is NOT 81.

The problem is that if you're not doing this often, both the bolts and the rotor will be stuck in place, so you'll need to use some penetrating spray on the bolts and perhaps a rubber mullet on the rotor. Either a 3/8s ratchet or a breaker bar will do it. Do NOT use your torque wrench to loosen up bolts please.
Well I'm glad I found out the right torque for the caliper, but if anyone was reading what I originally said, I never at any point said I was using a torque wrench to remove anything, just that if the torque wrench doesn't fit in there then there is no point even taking the bolts out. And it doesn't fit, so a breaker bar would definitely not fit. My problem is that I can't find a way to remove the bolts and then later tighten them if nothing fits back there (with the exception of the 3/8s ratchet I have). So how am I supposed to torque these properly back ON when nothing but a small ratchet will fit back there? That was the whole point for the impact wrench, was hoping it could fit back behind the rotors/caliper.

Any help on how to actually torque the bolts once I am putting them back on?

Last edited by Mk23; 09-22-2012 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0