View Single Post
      11-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boro92 View Post
The problem with bushings in this location is that the pivot point of the arm isn't just on a single axis. As a result, any poly bushing gets killed, and if this is Delrin (looks like it), it will suffer the same fate. FWIW. I LOVE THIS. But it needs to be spherical.
The OE inner "bushing" is actually is ball joint for this reason. At least, on my xdrive this is the case.

It isn't a real ball joint, but a rubber bushing that allows multi-axis on the other cars, from what I have seen.

For class rules, a spherical is disallowed. You can't run any additional metal content in the bushing than exists from the factory. (The metal sheath around the rubber bushing from the factory at least gives some wiggle room with total metal content).

In practice, the y-axis deflection is not very large, and when replaced with delrin / poly, the force will go to the ball joint. Poly bushings are popular there (I dislike them in general in comparison to delrin), and seem to have reasonable longevity (I know enough racers who have used a non-offset, OTS delrin or poly bushing for multiple seasons without introducing play).

For *most* people, the answer is probably still to go with the M3 arms. They won't get QUITE as much camber (I lost a couple tenths of a degree switching from the SuperPro to the M3 arms I used for testing, and these bushings are slightly more offset than the "most" offset you could make the SuperPro). Swapping in the M3 arms takes ten minutes for both sides, and is an OTS part, the TRW version of which is available for $70 or so a piece.

In short, I think this is about as good as I'd be able to reasonably do with the rules as they exist now. I don't love it, but them's the breaks.
Appreciate 0