Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckn0rr1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
With regards to the issue at hand, turns out the noise is the front main crankshaft bearing. The sound the car was making sounded like a connecting rod bearing was quite worn or spun. So we took the oil pan off to inspect the connecting rod bearings and.......they looked good as new. So the next step was to inspect the main bearings and that's where we found the issue. It looks like the previous owner might have ran the engine low on oil and spun the main bearing. They tried to remedy the issue by replacing all the connecting rod bearings and fitting what we think is an oversized main bearing to silence the issue and get rid of the car. Unfortunately the rod knock could only be heard when the engine was revved past 2.5k rpm so I never heard it when I bought the car. According to my mechanic they did such a shitty job of fixing the issue that the noise went away for a few thousand miles before coming back.

So, now I'm faced with the dilemma of how to fix the issue. We are having a BMW engine guy come and inspect the crankshaft for any scoring before proceeding. There are four options at this point:

1) if the crankshaft isn't badly damaged we might be able to carefully polish out the imperfections and fit new bearing and end caps. This will be tough to do with the engine still in the car.
2) if the crankshaft is damaged, it will need to be removed. I've been told that to do that the engine has to come out
3) buy a new engine and do a swap. I've already been on Copart looking for donor vehicles. My mechanic can source me a warranties engine for a bit under 4K and there are only two available in the US
4) slap on some oversized bearings, sell it to Carmax and let them deal with the issue

I'm really hoping option 1 works out as I love the car. If it wasn't a true M Sport and all the maintenance I did on the top end of the engine this past year, I'd get another 335 and start over.
You want to buy my totaled 335d msport? Rear end damage only
I had the issue about half a year ago. I've since put a new motor in it. That being said, if it was stupid cheap I'd probably go for it. Insurance still want $5k for it? Any idea on which auction house they'll try to sell it at?
Appreciate 0