View Single Post
      06-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #30
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Right, so they stole plates from a car in the carpark that had paid. Makes sense.

No worries for the information I just wish I could provide something a little more positive than proof that someone else got stung by the same scam.

Still, this has been going on since early 2008 and STILL bmw do nothing about it or even acknowledge that it is possible? Very worrying.

As others have said on other posts: The issue is that the rf between fob and car is not encrpypted. These should be encrypted with AES512 and the private/public key pairs specifically generated PER CAR, not the same codes for all cars.

Security like this is not difficult to implement. But it would lead to 20mins of manual work per car of someone generating keys and saving them to eprom/ rom on the key so they don't bother.

Sigh.

BMW aught to be strung up about this. Their flat denial is infuriating. I'm not saying it's only BMW: All of the modern cars are at risk from what I've read... So same goes for any other manufacturer who is refusing to own up to the issue as well.

Watchdog anyone?

Dave