08-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #25
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrque View Post
I did use it previously, but that oil is no longer BMW LL certified ?? They changed the composition also I read ... The only equivalent I found at Walmart for 25 bucks was Castrol 0w-40, which is BMW LL01 or something... I used that one for now
So I did my first oil change yesterday with Castrol 0w40. I’ve changed a lot of oil in a lot of different cars over the years and I’ve got to say this one is possibly the worst set up I’ve personally experienced. First the oil launches itself from the drain plug on a parabolic trajectory about 2.5 feet towards the passenger side of the car. Next when you take off the filter cap it spills dirty oil all down the side of the housing and the alternator. Finally...you have to either ruin a shop towel soaking up old oil in the housing...or use half a roll of paper towels and risk leaving some paper behind in the system.

I just asked my self so many times yesterday...WTH were the bmw engineers thinking???

On another note...I was shocked at how dirty the oil was. Car has 91k miles...last changed at 86k...is this normal???
Appreciate 0