02-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #1141
N43B20A
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i N43B20A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclsamy View Post
Hi, Richie!

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. I can confirm that the BMW engines are overrated.

Now, to come with updates after the timing chain change 10 months and 7000k miles ago:
- Fuel consumptions improved about 15%.
- car was running perfectly smooth until a last week, when it started "coughing". It seems like a gentle misfire occuring for the first miles after a cold start. The revs keep jumping +/-100 rpms for a fraction of second, and then everything is ok. Before changing the chain, the engine stutter and car shake were far more accentuated and power loss was highly pronounced.

Curious what would be the cause of this "cough". Should I try to change the coils? Can anybody offer me some details about the recalls of which should I be aware? We changed the 4 coils under recall 4 years ago. Is there a new set available? Mine are still BOSCH.

Any piece of advice is highly appreciated!
Updates after diagnosis: It looks like a missfire on cilinder 3. My mechanic friend says that the injector needs to be replaced. But an aquaintance of mine, with exactly the same car and also the same problem, has just changed all the four injectors with brand new ones. The problem didn't stop. He didn't change the coils.

My question is, can the coils be faulty? is it worthy to try and change the coil pack with the updated Delphi ones before changing the injector?

Thank you for any piece advice!
Appreciate 0