View Single Post
      11-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
finallall
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

335xi Transfer Case Fluid Change DIY

I wanted to do this DIY since people are having a difficult time removing the fill plug on the transfer case without removing the transfer case mount bracket.

This is the way I did it in 5min without removing the bracket. I did have the exhaust and shield removed since I'm doing other repairs that require it off.

The Bentley manual calls for a 14mm Hex nut socket but I didn't have one. + I read it's impossible to get it in without removing the bracket or cutting down the socket. So I bought a 9/16 long nut from Home Depot. Cost 99 cents. Anyway here is the procedure I followed:

Car on jack stands and as leveled as possible.

Pic # 1 is the long nut 9/16 size or 14mm

Pic # 2 nut installed

Pic # 3 used 14mm wrench to turn

Pic #4 fluid drained into a container. Make sure container is at least 700 milliliters. Their's supposed to be 520ml but I got only 411ml. You can see how black the fluid is. Once drained completely reinstall plug and torque to 44ft/lb.

Pic # 5 Long nut installed on the fill plug.

Pic # 6 used 14mm wrench again to unscrew fill plug.

Pic #7 shows the old fluid @ 411ml. I used a long hose squeezed onto the new fluid bottle to create enough extension to feed the new fluid in. I just raised the bottle as high as I could and squeezed to make the fluid come out until it started to overflow from the fill plug.

Pic #8 shows the level of fluid remaining in the container. It took about 520ml to fill it up which is the proper fluid amount as per the Bentleys manual.

Last Pic # 9 shows I used a crows foot to create enough space to sneak my torque wrench in and torque it to 44ft-lb.

Anyway hopefully someone finds this post useful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0