Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
Imagine driving along and ignoring rod knock because your “mechanic friend” says don’t worry about it. Not only would that type of silliness contribute to this, but it also suggests a whole lot of other silliness surrounding the engines maintenance that likely happened during your buddies ownership.
This really didn't sound like rod knock though, it sounded more like a loose heat shield or piece of plastic or something. I had a knocking Subaru which sounded much deeper. Of course, it might just sound different on an i6. I don't think he really did anything wrong, I inspected the car when he went to buy it, scanned it with ISTA, and I couldn't find anything leaking/wrong with it. The car seemed to be maintained well. We changed all the fluids, did plugs and coils, and some other basic maintenance.

About it being under maintained because it was owned by an old lady. The car came with a stack of BMW service records that probably equaled the total value of the car brand new, the engine looked impeccably clean inside, no sludge or anything. It had no leaks besides a slight leak from the oil pan gasket. It really seemed like a great car on the surface, every option except radar cruise and a 6mt, which makes this all the more disappointing.
Appreciate 0