View Single Post
      10-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #156
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Heard belt slip noise, looked at the belt and it was nearly half off the pulley on the tensioner arm. Am set to replace and just now noticed the bolt head on the tensioner sheared off as well. And I think it's actually been sheared off for a while since it's aged looking on the newly exposed portions. You guys might want to look at the bolt on your tensioner arm. Luckily I heard belt noise to warn me instead of the thing just coming apart.

Hopefully I can just get the tensioner arm off and vise grip the rest of the bolt out without drilling. Really limited on tools I have access to right now lol.

Lol, the tensioner arm would not come out with the broken bolt in there and the damn thing was almost flush, so I couldn't really grab it very well, but it spun right off by hand. 25nm is @18.5 ft lbs. Not sure how much the extra 90 degrees add, but I guess it's still a low torque and most likely that bolt came loose and was backing off a tiny bit, then probably bent a tiny bit or was put at an angle and then the head eventually sheared off. Gonna put a little bit of low strength locktite (purple) on the new bolt. Betting if the bolt doesn't go loose, the head would have not sheared off.

Last edited by Casca; 10-29-2016 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0