View Single Post
      07-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #97
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cKoNize View Post
I have read everyones comments so thank you for all the positive ones, and the negative responses that were irrelevant are a joke. Just a FYI I asked everyone where they were at 21 and about 80% of you didn't answer that rather critique me on where I am, and how I can't afford the car. Do you know how much I put down on the car, do you know what my payments are, do you know how much I paid for my car? No you don't I can afford a nice car, a nice place to live, food for my family, I have a college education without much debt. Seems as if most of you with the negative comments either didn't read my initial post, or are insecure about yourself and try to blatantly leave negative comments to try to bring someone down. Being who I am the negative comments will never bring me down just give me a good laugh! So thank you.
OP you should try to resist the urge to get defensive. I know you're getting a lot of advice, some better than others, but it was you that opened this can of worms. For many, including myself, your decisions up to this point have put you in a precarious position. Not the least of which is trying to maintain an impractical car for your situation. Yes, most of us neglected to mention where we were at 21 because, for the most part, it's irrelevant. Except that on some level you know you are behind the eight ball and you are looking for a success story with similar circumstances to your own.

However, that being said:

I moved out of the house at 18 rented an apt and was in a 4 year college @19. @21 After 2 years and much consternation decided to drop out of the University because i was bored to death and knowing that I would return, wanted to do so before my grades suffered. Being a long time patron of a particular alternative music scene, I started volunteering my time in a local club that was opening up. Not a huge place, some 3,000 sq.ft, but once it did I got a gig on the door, moved to bartender after 6 months, co-manager by the end of that first year (bought a Geo Metro). After a couple years I started a private speak-easy and had a DJ gig 3 nights a week at a more infamous club. I did this for 7 years living on my own and/or with GF's, living a dream of.... let's just say it was 'excessive'. With my oats fully soiled I returned to the University, earned a couple of degrees, got a job and eventually got married (much younger wife). We travel freely and often, we enjoy dual incomes and have all the toys we could ever want.

No, it's not the story that's going to help you at this point. However it is one of the ways that through realistic and rational decisions, even at 21, one can have their cake and eat it as too.
Appreciate 0