03-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #64
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Sounds like you got a "wall job" first time, not unusual unfortunately. Wall job is where they take your car, keep it overnight, park it next to the wall, and do nothing. Call you up say its done!

Old GF's brother had opened a car repair place. Going like gang busters. She took her car in for service there all the time from brand new.

She said she wanted to learn how to work on cars herself, so I said sure, let's do basic stuff, oil & filter, plugs, air filter etc. So we go get all the parts and get to work. Long story short obvious no one ever once touched the car. Oil looked horrible, air filter totally clogged, plugs nasty. I felt so bad for her, she was like crying as I'm putting in new plugs and stuff. It was awful.
That's why a good mechanic is so damn valuable. I'll give you a quick taste.

Had my acuras timing belt snap 10k miles after it was changed. Since I was traveling for work I didn't have time to do it for myself. I live in Pittsburgh, belt jumped while driving to Jersey for work. What happened was they used an impact wrench on the timing belt tensioner bolt which is only suppose to be 19ft/lbs. The bolt sheared right off as I was driving and actually stayed in the enclosure, obviously valve and engine damage. When tearing the engine apart at an Acura dealership in NJ they pulled out the bolt head that sheared off and it had impact wrench marks all over it.

Acura dealership in NJ where I had the engine rebuilt was suppose to send the heads out to be decked. After getting the car back about 3k miles later, a valve dropped off into the combustion chamber and they admitted that they didn't need to send the heads out and possibly the valves weren't seated properly. After that, got a used engine and had a different acura dealership put in the used engine near my house in Pittsburgh. I thought the install went great, except about 1k miles later my transmission fried and was toast. I go to find, there was about 2quarts of transmission fluid in the car instead of the standard 8. I looked on the invoice and there was no charge for transmission fluid even though during an engine swap the car loses about 5 quarts of fluid. And so I asked about the fluid and how it's $20 a quart why it wasn't on the invoice and they stated they put in fluid and gave me the 5 quarts for free and that's why it didn't show up.

Lets just say after that the car was sold.
Appreciate 0