United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Salmon View Post
Hi, would you be willing to maybe create a fully PNP solution? Or something close enough?
I understand the concern and plug and play is nice to have. Right now without adding significantly to the cost I don't think it is likely to happen with this kit.
Other suppliers have made custom connectors and I give them kudos for it. I think it was likely a big investment.

Depinning the connectors is about as close as I expect to provide to a true plug and play solution. It uses high quality automotive connectors and while there is some effort to de-pin the originals it results in a very good quality connection without cutting any wires.

Some customers have purchased connectors from another supplier and have spliced into those instead of cutting their harness.

Overall the best reasonable solution is to cut off the original connector and just splice the new pigtails in directly. A good crimp or solder connection will be more reliable than any connector and is also less bulky. It is possible to directly crimp on the connectors to the stock wiring but it is a lot of work and requires a bit of experience and patience. It took me a couple of hours to get mine right when I did the direct crimping on my car and I also ended up soldering the crimps. Soldering them was also harder than expected because too much solder wouldn't allow the terminals to fit into the connector. Suffice to say it was much harder and no better than splicing in pigtails. The professionally made pigtails have a very high quality crimp that is not something that can be consistently done with hand tools in the engine bay.

One option that makes sense is to just purchase a second used coil/injector harness. This harness for the N54 is not hard to find and not expensive. An ebay search for "335i coil wiring bmw" shows 4 of them @ $49.95 with free shipping right now.

If I were ever to go back to stock I would just put a full used harness in.

Overall at this point splicing coil connection wires isn't the biggest modification that most of us have made to the car. Compared to installing inlets splicing the coils in is a minor mod.

-Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 01-08-2022 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0