B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Tweaking the Install and cleaning things up

Okay, so i now have a bit of a hybrid set up. Nexon parts with a burger harness now... The way I had it in my first post in this thread was bugging me. It worked flawless but I wasnt a fan of the splice, or keeping the pins out of the big connector behind the glove box, I just thought it was crude. So I ordered the harness from Burger to clean the install up to a fitted plug-in type system. I did not need new MF buttons.

I also had the luxury of doing this TWICE today because the harness arrived not properly wired. I had a hunch something didnt look right, but I dutifully followed the instructions, and after the install the paddles did not work. After discussions with forum members and burger, it was evident that the harness arrived to me wired improperly. I took the car apart again, removed the harness, rewired the harness, and reinstalled it. Everything worked flawlessly like it had before. Only now, everything is a clean plug-in type configuration.

Basically, the operation is the same. Nexon terminates the connections at the glove box pins, and reroutes the steering wheel wires (those pins) from the glove box to the shifter. Burger goes about it differently, they terminate after the connection at the wheel, then go to the shifter from the steering column. Same thing, just done differently and much cleaner with fitted connections.

A few tips on the install.
Burger has you "prying" the steering wheel trim apart with a screw driver. Do NOT do this, you WILL break something (i knew better than to try). To remove the steering wheel trim, use your 90 degree pick, to pop the sides of the top and bottom steering wheel trim apart. To do so, you'll see tabs very close to the front on either side, put your pick in the inside of that tab and push, it will open. once thats done the top will come off pretty easy. Then look down, the bottom trim is held on by a little plastic clip that attaches to a metal 'tower' or stub. Just slide that out on each side and the bottom trim will drop away very cleanly. You can now gain access to the connector your bridging.

this one

The harness i got from burger was wired improperly. This is NOT correct.

It needs to look like this.

I did this by unpinning the middle leads run, and swapping them between the other end. Your terminating the wires that come from the computer behind the glove box at the wheel, and running the paddle wires to the shifter where its being tapped, all 4 of those wires need to carry through..

The objective here was to put the pins back in the black harness that nexon had me taking out and leaving out.

remove my splice i installed, insulate it with shrink wrap, to clean it up.

the end result is using the burger parts to connect under the steering wheel and tap into the shifter wires using plugs, very cleanly. same end result.

Using the paddle wiring the same as i had it before inside the wheel. Worked well after i fixed the harness.

The Burger 'system' is very clean, i def think its the way to go with part of the project because the plugs they use just plug right into the factory plugs and harnesses with NO fuss, no messing with pin removal or stripping wires which is well worth the money.

Last edited by B-737; 10-09-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0