View Single Post
      03-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
logantheodorou
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
So - a friend of mine wanted to do this exact same thing. I noted that it would result in no additional performance, specifically because the E9X platform is already using a 'cold air' induction through the front snorkel and this would impact that.

He agreed - however he did it anyways because he wanted the sound as you mention. The problem is, for some reason it created more of a "hum" than the proper induction sound I've heard before on other cars when I eventually rode with him in the car. Both of us were very disappointing and he promptly replaced it back to the original version.

YMMV, but I was very underwhelmed by the sound it made - it was terrible. I imagine this was due to the normal paper filter versus the conical filter being there, but who knows.
Thank you for the reply, I will definitley experiment with different kinds of filters now that you said that. Thank you for the valuable insight!

I really want to learn more about the AfE intake and "what makes it tick". After all, it does make a beautiful sound in the higher RPMs. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0