View Single Post
      05-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Angry Sunroof goes KA-POW!!!

So I'm driving down the highway minding my own business, when suddenly, out of nowhere, I hear this deafeningly loud explosion above my head. It was kind of like a cannon went off from the top of my car, with the sunroof open. Right afterwards I hear the thousands of little pieces of glass falling down on my sunshade. My first thought was that a large piece of hail had hit the top of my car, as it had just started to rain, but I soon realized that this was not the weather, nor did I at the time pass through any underpasses or under bridges or any other structures and I did not see any UFOs in the sky nor was I hit by a meteorite....

At the time I was driving on a highway at about 65mph and the temperature was about 70 degrees, with overcast skies. There were no cars immediately in front of me. The glass could not have been hot either as I drove through rain just before the incident and there was no sun on the car for at least half an hour.

So I pulled into a gas station and got out of the car and my suspicions were confirmed.... The damn glass just "exploded"! Since I had an appointment I just bought some duct tape and taped it off with a trash bag. Later at the hotel I took a bunch of pictures since I figured this would be a hard thing to prove to BMW that it was not caused by some sort of impact. But then I realized that the glass around the broken edges actually bulges outward! That right there tells me that the glass was under enormous stress in an upward direction, almost like a balloon that got overinflated.

Anyway, I will upload pics shortly. I already called my SA and he already hinted that they would probably not offer to fix this under warranty. For their sake I hope they do because otherwise I will make a fuss like they have never seen before.
Attached Images

Last edited by kaigoss69; 05-19-2011 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0