View Single Post
      10-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #58
leo67
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is

Garage List
2012 BMW 335is  [0.00]
With the frequent Apple hardware and software upgrade cycle, as a consumer / user, trying to keep up with this integration just doesn't make sense (BMW Apps update, iOS update, hardware interface revision). I've found most of the BMW apps offerings to be pretty much useless or too limited. Example - after finally getting the right combination of Apps and OS revisions to read my text messages from iDrive Office, I then find it's limited to only those texts you receive since you started the car? Ugggh.

Sticking with Bluetooth phone and Bluetooth audio provides most of what I'd want with the least frustration. And since Bluetooth is standards-based, the interfaces are well defined and easier for manufacturers to support, versus a tight integration to a specific phone with makes it dependent on the phone's OS and App interfaces which may change frequently.

The most useful integration would be to control the iPhone from the iDrive and clone the iPhone display on the iDrive. But that wouldn't be the most profitable integration strategy for the companies involved as it doesn't require the consumer to purchase various stuff to keep up with the latest changes.
Appreciate 0