View Single Post
      07-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #55
SyphonX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i & F32 440i

It turns out you can code a TRSVC without an ICOM and my perseverance paid off, so I thought I'd share some of my experience with the world so that others might not have to repeat the same effort.

After spending time in tool32 trying to read and write individual coding blocks (with a small amount of success) I came to the conclusion that the reason the adapter didn't work was related to either the size of the blocks, which are bigger in this module than any other, or the speed/timings of the buffer.

So I started looking for the original firmware with the hope of seeing if I could improve it, but while looking I found a few posts related to a modified firmware that had support for faster communication and tighter timings. I eventually traced this back to github, followed it and tested it, and it worked! I can now read and write coding with NCSExpert to an E70 TRSVC70 through a 2008 E92 chassis (equipped with a JBE IIIR).

This is a little technical for some, so I've put a document together that might help anyone adventurous enough to put it to good use, and if it saves them the expense of an ICOM they only needed for this one job, then even better.

I couldn't get an E84 TRSVC, and I had to make the E84 PDC, those parts are extremely rare over here, but the E70 TRSVC is fairly common. The downside though is that even calibration can't account for the coding, and the first time I tried to reverse it round a bend it tried to lead me into a post. I've calculated a lot of the necessary values for the E92/E93, it's not that difficult, it's mostly just 3 dimensional offsets. The result is well worth it though as (amongst being safer and more accurate) the rv camera horizon is a little higher, the lines are straighter, and they actually start AFTER the bumper!

I will include my custom NETTODAT and DATEN here, but anyone who wants to put an OEM RV camera on a 1, 5, or other E series will need to do their own calcs.

Here's a little info on how to get started with an example:

Just one of many settings is DID_4162_CAM_POS_RV which is the absolute (default) reverse view camera position, and is 12 bytes in size. 6 x 2 byte values, representing an int16 (16 bit signed integer) in LSB (least significant byte) first format, also known as big endian. At this point some of you may feel the need to go off and learn hex fundamentals!

Break it down and you have the following |X-rotation|Y-rotation|Z-rotation|X-mm|Y-mm|Z-mm. I suspect these are 10th's of a degree, but unless you want to mount the camera sideways, the first 6 are always |E0 0D|80 E9|00 00| after that we get the following.

E70+!S63
|19 0F|D5 00|32 04| = | 3865mm | 213mm | 1074mm |

E84
|DE 0D|48 00|91 03| = | 3550mm | 72mm | 913mm |

My E92/E93 with an F10 handle
|70 0E|37 00|52 03| = | 3696mm | 55mm | 850mm |

E92/E93 with chinese varient handle (I've estimated this as the camera is set left of centre)
|70 0E|D6 FF|52 03| = | 3696mm | -42mm | 850mm |

After successful coding it was necessary to initialise the calibration process and take it for a short drive, this was done in tool32 in my case as follows:

This is the E70 TRSVC before coding:

And this is after:

Install detail:

Btw - I really liked the handle mod idea. I was having second thoughts about taking a dremel to my boot lid. It's a perfect fit thankfully, but it was not easy task!
Attached Files
File Type: doc K+D CAN adapter mod.doc (800.0 KB, 319 views)
File Type: zip E92-TRSVC70-files.zip (5.6 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by SyphonX; 07-07-2020 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 5