06-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #71
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprooney View Post
That's the link were it is clearly stated the N55 won (before that the N55 never competed as it wasn't in the market)
http://blog.autoworld.com.my/index.p...lts-announced/

Here's a quote of what they said:
"2.5-litre to 3-litre – BMW N55B30 3.0-litre Twin-Scroll Turbo

This category has been BMW’s playground since the award’s inception, with 2003 and 2004 being the only years that the gong did not land in Munich. This year, it’s a one-two finish for the Bavarians with the petrol-powered N55B30 twin-scroll turbo engine taking top honours followed by the twin turbo version of the N57D30 3.0-litre diesel.

Most BMW models bearing the 35i designation now use the N55, though some, like the Z4, continue with the older twin turbo N54 of similar performance. The engine produces 306hp and 400Nm, the latter served on a window that spans from 1,200 to 5,000rpm."

And to finish i only say that this year the award returned to the N54 because they awarded the "evolution" of the N54 not the original one, that's very clear when they quote the M Coupe, Z4is and 335is
I see what they say, there really is a lot of contradicting statements from last year since in 2011 they were also saying "this is going to be the engine in coming 1M" and also "fifth time in a row", these all clearly say one thing that they were talking about N54 but then they also say what you quote, maybe in 2011 some judges really messed up, don't know. But this year there is no confusion, see my post before this one. Both N54T and N55 were competing together with 4 other engines, result and points are everywhere in internet. N54T was considered even better than the new M Performance 3.0 liter diesel (which I think a fantastic engine) and N55 was fifth only. This is how they judged, that is a fact. You can consider that a better engine, you have all the right to do so but they did not. It is a more efficient, cleaner and technologically a newer concept engine, does not impress the judges more at the end despite all these.
Appreciate 0