Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
I am an AT car, with an AR design retrofit, and no OEM oil cooler. I have driven around on the city, and highways, and extensively logged water temps. I am not seeing higher water temps because of the AR design oil cooler location. I will take data at the track in 13 days, but I am not expecting to be supprised by this. I think the data we have gathered so far is strongly pointing to coolant/water ratio together with the presence or absence of a coolant additive is the biggest factor in controling water temps. The best temps so far seem to be seen with 100% water+coolant additive mix. Both the HP autowerks modified car, and ER 135/335 cars run with 100% water + motul mocool, even with their larger 3L radiators. Just food for thought.
That is an interesting point. I have never had issues with my water temps anyway (as indicated above), but thought this was either due to (i) the driving being not aggressive enough or (ii) my car being a manual transmission. I would certainly be pleased (considering I'm running the same oil cooler as yourself) if the location of the AR cooler is a non-issue. However, I'm still a bit sceptical that placing one hot core in front of another is a very good idea.
Quote:
There are positives and negatives of every of the oil coolers on the market, and I thought a lot about this, before i picked AR.

1. evolution race werks: total of 8 liters of oil needed each oil change, with fears of dropping oil pressure, because of the massive size. Totally blocked out front air brake ducts. Non-Setreb Cores. Complicated install.
I agree. That was also my point of view.
Quote:
2. Stett- wether you run with or without their thermostat, the oil isn't getting hot enought too boil off condensate, and water is getting into the engine, causing noise, and possible failure long term. It also blocks out the brake air ducts. Complicated install.
I do not think that the condensate really is a problem, but someone already mentioned that here. I would still go with their thermostate, though. And does it really block off the brake air ducts? I have to look up the installation pictures taken by FBIS again. That would certainly be a negative point, at least if one is tracking the car.
Quote:
3. Dinan- perfect, and proven. Large setreb Core that doesn't block the brake air ducts. Very expensive. Complicated install.
Where does Dinan install the oil cooler? In the stock location (i.e. retrofit option with bigger core than stock)? As I'm located in Europe I already have the stock oil cooler anyway, which is why retrofit options are not of interest to me.

However, there's also the ALPINA additional oil cooler, which is installed on the driver's side and has - IIRC - the same core as the stock oil cooler, i.e. it simply doubles the stock capacity. Also rather expensive, though.

Alpina_B3_Lux