View Single Post
      09-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #57
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
A/S are just not good at anything. Summer tires WAY outperform A/S in the wet. Their braking capabilities are also much higher which alone, IMO, is enough of a reason to justify, especially since you already have winters.
After switching to summer tires for the first time this year I couldn't agree with you more. I had DWS 06 and absolutely hated them. Nothing compares to a summer tires handling and steering feel. I'm currently on bridgestone potenza S-04 pole position. It made me fall in love with the car all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
It's because most everyone w/ a BMW drives in a straight line ~99% of the time. Since that's the case, what's the point of having summer tires which you can only benefit from ~5 seconds at a time during on-ramp maneuvers. Not to mention, only lasting half as long as an A/S.

If we all had the luxury of driving through the canyons of Malibu everyday, etc. I'm sure that would be a different story.
While driving through the canyons of Malibu seems like a hell of a time, I strongly disagree with you. Having strong grip around turns might be one benefit of summer tires, but mind you it's not the only one. Summers transform the way your car feels. From a straight line to minor lane changes it'll give you the feeling that you're in control. Unless you live in a climate where it snows >75% of the year I could see where you're coming from. But where I live we maybe see snow 3-4 months out of the year. During those winter months I'll stick with my winter tires. In my justification All Season tires should be renamed to No season tires.