AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
I feel like I need to chime in here with the approaching obnoxious bashing of A/S tires. Yes, I agree that having seperate winter and summer tires is ideal. But some people dont have the space, or maybe don't want to have to buy another set of wheels and tires, and these tires aren't cheap for good ones. A full set of wheels and tires for a performance setup car is approaching $4k.

Some of the modern A/S tires are approaching dedicated summer tires in dry grip, and few summer tires do "waaay" better in the wet. Plus, most drivers only drive on the road and you will be hard pressed to exceed the limits of a "performance" A/S on the road. They perform when it is below 40*, which happens in summer time where I am. So you get a tire that does pretty well on the road during summer, and can get you through a limited amount of snow during winter all while saving money and getting tires that can last 50k miles.

No need to be dicks to people that don't need either extremes of performance and want to save a bit while getting a tire with 80% of the capability.
I guess this is partly my fault since I may have been the one who started the "I prefer two sets of tires" talk.

I totally get that a/s tires make sense for some folks. My fiancee's Subaru Impreza is rolling on a/s tires and we're unlikely to be buying snow tires for it, because the a/s tires are good enough for her and she tolerates how much room my car crap including whatever wheels aren't on my car takes up in the garage.

But for me, I got my stick shift turbo BMW coupe and put a bunch of money and effort into modifying it because I want to really drive it, so the last thing I'm going to do is compromise on a set of a/s tires.
Appreciate 1