09-08-2016, 11:53 PM   #61
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Add light snow as a 3rd category and PSSs will definitely be only for idiots

It's like data can show anything you want it to. It's pretty clear with this thread that a/s is the only answer.
I've never contended that a/s is the only answer. I'm simply arguing that if you don't need a tire that you will exploit the limits of in summer or go through heavy amounts of snow, than an a/s makes a good compromise.

I do agree it isn't the best comparison in potentially different environments, but it is information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
. Gosh, what kind of rims, 3 piece that weigh 15 lbs? I have PSS on 189's and snows on rims, and I don't even think 2 sets of tires with 1 set of rims even cost $1700. I don't have tpms in the snows, maybe that would take the setup to $1940.
Exaggerating a little, but only somewhat. I am going to go to a two tire setup eventually, but am also aware I may go to f30 brembos at some point as well. So, we got two sets of apex wheels (one of the few 18s that fit over those brakes) - $2400 right here. A set of PSS - $850 for 255s, or an RE11 -$1000. Michelin PA4s- $750 for 225s. Not even touching TPMS sensors right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAlex View Post
To each their own, but sir...did you ever consider that you bought a performance car? Given the scenario that you've stated, wouldn't a Honda Pilot be a better option?
Why did you buy a car that can do 155+ mph? Given your scenario, wouldn't a civic be a better option?

No need to act like a 12 year old. It is also a little unfair to compare the a/s that is known to have the least feedback of pretty much any a/s to a summer in that comparison. But if you're happy with what you have, good.

I can already pull significantly stupid speeds on curvy roads with an a/s, even in the rain. I am not tracking or aggressively autocrossing the car at the moment. Rarely get snow in the winter. I have actually driven an e61 with Michelin A/S3s (which aren't meant for snow) in ~5 inches of snow and ice, it had no problems, even when parking on sheet ice. I don't see why I need to spend extra on a second set when I get limited use out of them, and would rather keep the money in my pocket for now.
Appreciate 1