Spectre
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Mark View Post

Can you go more in-depth in how you got our boot ring to fit and attach to the F10 boot?
Sure, before I explain it will sound harder than it is but rest assured pretty much anyone can do this.

1) Carefully separate your old stock boot from the stock boot ring. I used a heat gun to make the leather more pliable and easier to work with. I also used a razor blade to break the seal of glue.

2) Now carefully pop the staples of the F10 m5 boot ring with a small flathead screwdriver. Theres only light glue or no glue and the F10 boot will separate from the ring easily.

3) Use a hairdryer or heat gun on low and put some warmth into the new leather so its easier to work with. Carefully work it around the stock boot ring. This part takes patience but just keep working at it. Once you have about a good 1/2 inch on leather past the ring all the way around. You'll notice little tabs wanting to protrude out of the leather on the sides of the stock shift boot ring.

4) Take a sharp razor or Xacto knife and cut a slit just above the tab into the leather. Stretch the leather down so the slit opens, then tab pokes through the leather thus keeping the leather stretched and tight for you. Do that 4 times. Once for each tab. you may use heavy duty staples for the bottom or top part of the boot ring but it may not be necessary. (I didn't have to)

5) Splice into a power source and hook up the wires. Brown is ground and Gray/red is power. pretty simple. I used the light to my center console ashtray. The wires were the same colors as the shift knob so it made it really easy.

If something is unclear or you have a specific question, let me know or PM me

Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50