02-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlE90 View Post
mines went out at 60k cost me $430 to do it at a shop, not BMW dealer, if i found this thread i should would of took at shot at it BTW the gasket is around 30$ at the stealership
Looks easy from the DIY, but at least on the N54 it isn't as simple as just removing air housing, draining the coolant, and removing the housing. Be sure you protect the alternator from any fluids!

One bolt of the oil filter housing is under the intake manifold, and it is not short. You have to move the intake manifold to get at it, well, at least on the N54. (The curvature of the manifold may be a little better on the N52/N51 engine.) This requires removal of the microfilter housing, air intake, left charge air duct, and unbolting the intake manifold, at the least. (I actually removed the throttle body, but I'm not sure if this is necessary because I didn't try it without removing it.) This is a decent amount of work. Don't feel so bad. (My family is wondering if the car will start after I'm done. I'm trying to retrofit a Dinan oil cooler into it and it requires changing the housing.)

Last edited by jzchen; 02-12-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0