Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I honestly don't really care about cars like I used to. I'll never sell the E30, of course. But I'll drive the E90 until the wheels fall off.

The idea of having a $800/month car payment for 5 years of my life - nah. I'd rather skip that and retire when I'm 52 instead. I've really started thinking about purchases in terms of - how many years of my life will I have to waste working to own that thing? is it really worth it? most of the time, it's not.

If the E90 died, I could ride a bike instead of driving, because I won't need to go to work anyway. I don't want to retire when I'm already half dead and unable to enjoy my life, and things like fancy cars, boats, SUVs, etc. get in the way of that.
If you play your cards right, you could both buy new cars AND retire young.

But the problem for me is the distinct lack of new cars I have any interest in buying, and the couple I do kind of want are too expensive for my cheap Yankee brain to let my heart do it.

And being 52 and loving what I do for a living, I would be bored out of my tree if I retired now.

Of course, the way things are going the 128i coupe that I want to go with my convertible is going to cost me new car money anyway. But no payments, I refuse to owe money on a car with no warranty.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0