View Single Post
      07-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I just don't agree with business owners bitching when a mishap does happen, they should of known that something could happen when they bought the place
I don't think an explosion of a deep-water drilling platform located 41 miles from shore qualifies as a foreseeable risk to homeowners, especially when you also consider that these kinds of explosions occur FAR less frequently than hurricanes. I think any assumption of risk argument here would fail. Somehow I think EVERY homeowner would agree that they shouldn't be required to take 100% risk for every possible adverse situation that could happen to their homes, even if caused by third party malfeasance (think arsonist or vandal).

I would agree, however, that claims of diminished value (or in the case of brokers claiming lost commissions) is ridiculous. A property owner should only recover the direct damage to their property caused by the oil (e.g. cost to clean-up oil that damaged their property). Brokers should have no claims whatsoever; their business by definition is based on market fluctuations -- they should take risks both ways.
Appreciate 0