rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
Another thought I had was to introduce 'swirl' into the combustion chamber. This will promote better mixing and combustion of the fuel and air. This 'swirl' is known to increase efficiency and power. The stock 4 valve head gives no 'swirl' of the incoming charge. The 2 intake valves flow equally and only maybe provides a slight 'tumble' but no 'swirl'.

I can only make both intake valves have more lift together. My thought is I can modify the Ecc Cam to provide slightly less lift to one of the valves. This would be easy enough by just grinding one of the Ecc Cam lobes from about 150* to end 'flat' as to provide no more than 9.7-10.0mm lift.

The idea is that one intake valve will have 10.3-10.5mm lift and 1-3* more duration and the other intake valve will have 9.7-10.0mm lift and 0.5-1* more duration. Because one valve will start flowing before the other and flow more and longer, it will provide 'swirl' to the combustion chamber.

Just thinking down the line for 'what's next'.
I thought the intake cam lobes are offset from the factory, one valve opened first and the second would catch up as the valve lift increased. I assume this was part of the reason why the injectors were so custom.
Appreciate 0