View Single Post
      11-10-2020, 02:38 AM   #1166
tyrannosaurus69
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu667 View Post
Sorry to hear of your experience. I can't offer any solution as I sold my E91 without ever getting to the bottom of the issue. However, £500 for a single injector seems a little steep to me? I recall a mobile BMW technician replacing one on my drive and it can't have taken him more than 15 minutes, if that.

I am shocked to read all these years later that there doesn't appear to be a definitive fix for the N43 problems, let alone any suggestion as to what the root cause is? The standard suggestion seems to be "replace all the coils and injectors with new" just for the problem to return again?
Appreciate the sympathy mate; although it won't help with the car, it made me feel a little better! The garage called just after I wrote this post to tell me that it's still misfiring after replacing the injector. and that they will need to carry out "Further investigations", before telling me that I only drive for short journeys, which may have caused some problems. I mean, there is a global pandemic going on...

In regards to the cost, yeah I get the feeling they're taking the piss a little, or more likely a lot. I wouldn't have taken it to this garage, but all of the local garages made up excuses about not being able to take it in when the steering rack went. Finally one garage owner came clean on the phone after saying he couldn't take it in for two weeks, and when I told him two other garages had said exactly the same thing he burst out laughing, before telling me that trying to sort the steering was more effort than it was worth. The garage I went with seemed professional and sympathetic about the cost, so I went with them when the EWL came on. Nearest BMW dealership is miles away and I have my daughter all day, so putting her in a cab there and back is a bit of a no-no.

After a (completely) sleepless night I've decided to part-exchange the car for, probably, a newer Ford, and put the money wasted on the car down to experience . I love the BMW, and it made me smile every time I looked at it in the driveway, but reading this thread has made me realise that it's just going to be a complete money sink, with no guarantee of reliability even if I spend thousands on it. I'm registered disabled and rely on my wife for most of our household income, and my decision to buy this car has cost us every last bit of our savings and placed an even bigger financial burden on her, so feeling pretty shitty about the whole thing.
Appreciate 0