View Single Post
      04-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well, yeah, but I would also argue that it hinges on how much torque there is.
How much engine torque there is, is not really important. How much wheel torque there is, is what is important. Because that is what gets you going, not engine torque.
A high revving engine has a different gear ratio and therefore needs less engine torque to get the same wheel torque.
And like I showed in the specs I listed, the s65 is a very very good performer compared to it's rivals in the same class&era.
Not much NA 4L V8's perform better. And I think the engine torque by itself for a NA 4L V8 is also pretty good.
Unless you know of another NA 4L V8 in 2007 that does way more...
Even the ferrari F430 engine (same era) produces about the same specific torque (465Nm from 4.3L) but also only at 5250rpm.
So that torque spec from the s65 is actually quite impressive for a NA 4L V8

I don't think it's the best BMW engine (I always take the age into account and then for me it's probably the s50b32, which was at least 5 years ahead of the competition), but in 2007, the s65 was pretty much at the top of its class.
That there were other manufacturers fitting 6L FI V8's into their cars with more power and torque has no relevance to that as you can't compare those. It's apples vs apples and oranges vs oranges.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-11-2021 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0