09-14-2021, 11:31 PM   #658
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprp85 View Post
Thanks to many guides and Hassmaschine himself, I buttoned up 3SIM along with some other 100k maintenance items; everything has been fairly straight forward.

One question is, GM1912 flash- have those been removed from Bimmerlabs until further notice? I see two GM1912 listed but all contain the same stock HW#/ZB#; but no tune available?
It's been removed for a while. I'm not sure if/when I will put it back, there's too much risk and no reward. I've been maintaining the site as-is to keep existing downloads available, but I haven't worked on anything new in a long time. I do have plans to refresh everything but it's not a priority at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktiv View Post
why can't I upload firmware 328> 330? the motors are the same
Because MSV70 is not the same as MSV80. The motor is irrelevant. The binary files are completely different between DMEs. Even slight changes in software between the same DME causes a different format for the calibrations.

If you mean modifying a 528i DME to work like a 530i, that can be done. But I've been asked about it maybe 4 times in the last 6 years, so it's just not worth the effort. Maybe if I'm bored one day, I find time to make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Are you trying to force a MSV70 tune for a 330 into a MSV80 328 or 528. That won't work. Engines might be the same but the DME is different.
Yeah, you already know this (I'm quoting you for clarity!), but the MSV80 "330i" tune is a 328i stock tune, but with the relevant parameters copied over from the stock 330i to effectively make an MSV80 "330i" tune. It's hard to explain this to people, because it's not even a literal copy and paste or something, like copying text from a word document, or even copying binary data exactly.

Everything is a different format (little endian/big endian), all the offsets are different, and some of the tables are even a different size or don't even exist (or there are new ones that need to be adjusted). It's "easy" to do, but at the same time it takes work, and there's just not much reward for doing it except to hear people complaining.

Another thing is the new crackdowns from the EPA and CARB on tunes. I know how it works and know how to get around it (it's laughably trivial), but there's a lot of risk and I'm not sure it's even worth it anymore.
Appreciate 1
4 Doors1169.00