View Single Post
      11-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
dablackbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335xi

Steps to replace bad front wheel bearing?

So I bought my '12 335xi back in July of 2019 with 72k on it and it came equipped with the Bridgestone Potenza RFT so I figured the humming sound was coming from the run-flat tires (Which it is, partially. Read on)

However, I've put about 8k on the car since I've gotten it and I gotta say, I suspect it's a bad front wheel bearing. The only reason I say this is because the humming I thought that was the tires still stands, but now, there's a terrible howling noise coming from the front right wheel and when I turn left, at any speed above 15 mph, it gets worse. So, I'm gonna go ahead and replace the bearing. I've never done a pressed in bearing, so I wanted to make sure my parts and procedures are approved by those more experienced than I am.

These are the parts I'm going to order from FCP Euro:
- BMW Wheel Bearing - Genuine BMW 31226783913
- BMW Axle Nut - OE Supplier 33411133785
- BMW Wheel Hub - Genuine BMW 31206768993
- BMW Wheel Bearing Circlip - Genuine BMW 07119934760 ( I could get this from a local auto parts store)

Here's my procedure, let me know if this is correct please:
1. Remove center cap and break axle nut loose
2. Remove wheel, remove caliper (and hang), and remove brake rotor.
3. Remove dust shield
4. Remove tie rod, remove sway bar end link, remove lower control arm, remove thrust arm, remove strut bolt all from the steering knuckle
5. Remove ABS sensor from hub
6. Remove driveshaft flange from hub (probably do this first)
7. Press bearing out of hub (if reusing old hub) or just press new bearing into new hub and reinstall (A lot of the DIY's I read have said that the hub can be unusable after pressing bearing out due to rust)
8. Reassemble everything and torque to spec

Sorry if this was a long writeup, I've been wanting to tackle this for a while but just needed some motivation.
Appreciate 0