09-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
The options and packaging constraints have turned a lot of people off because the car is now much more expensive to get the things you want. The idea of not being able to get a wood dash, sport seats and suspension isn't even an option and very anti-BMW if you think about it.

Now you have to get basically a fully loaded car to get some of the few options that you want rather than a la carte which is a huge price difference.

If I was buying I wouldn't buy the Nav, although I want it because I refuse to pay the additional money for the HUD that I can't use (polarized glasses) I'd rather put that money towards heats seats or Xenons. The Super size mentality died at McD but BMW now sees fit to use it even though value is not saving money on things you really do not want or need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaze View Post
+1

When you add $20K+ of packages, options and accessories, BMW's quickly lose their appeal.

What???? How much do you want to pay for an F30? I realize everyone has a budget they want to adhere to, but I cannot imagine many folks expect to pay less than $40K for an F30; moreover, I think most folks target something around $45K, give or take.

I can guarantee you that you can drive an F30 home with sport seats, xenons, and nav for a bit less than $45K, and that's for a 335 or 328. For example, base 328 + black leather, nav, lighting pack, dynamic handling pack, heated front seats, moonroof, alarm, auto high beams, and HK sound system has an MSRP of $45.9K, which in the worst of times, you can drive off the lot for $44K. Now one can certainly play around with it a bit, and add sport line and remove some of those stand alone options, but still there's no reason one cannot get a reasonably priced ($45K or so), well equipped F30. (E.G., if you want black seats, don't bother with leather? The leatherette is more durable anyway and once the leather smell is gone, people can't tell the difference. I know that because my first BMW had leatherette and everyone thought they were leather.)

Navigation is a stand alone option; you don't have to get HUD with it. Xenons are standard on the 335 and in the lighting package for the 328, which BTW costs the same as xenons did on the E9x. If you want the wood trim, have it; it's free. The only thing that'd make you have to compromise is if you don't want the standard seats and you want the M Sport seats. For that you have to go with the M Line, and would have to give up some of the elements noted above, but even so, you can get 328 with xenons, heated seats and nav at an MSRP below $45k.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0