View Single Post
      08-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #74
freon480
12:34
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
No offense, but why on earth would you change the oil without changing the filter..?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
There is almost a half quart of oil in the filter housing. Like Phil said, why would you not change the filter? With very long drain intervals it is imperative to change the filter.

Regarding the reset issue you are experiencing, it is the software not the oil sensor that is altering the reset value. I'm not sure if you read this entire thread, but that is exactly how I discovered the issue. I thought it was the sensor, so I changed it and still had the issue that the system would not properly reset. That's when I took it to the BMW dealer and it was discovered that BMW programmed the CBS to stop using the oil quality data from the oil sensor. You'll be wasting your time and money if you try an change the oil sensor; I've been down that road already.
if you recall as i said above i change my oil usually every 3k. my last oil change was 5 weeks ago and i changed filter then. bmw recommends 15k so obv the filter is ok for that long. although i dont change my filter every change i do change it every other which still has me changing it twice for every 15k at least. ive done it like this for the last 115k. and at 215k i think its safe to say my method does no harm. if yall are using your filter for 15k the 7k i use it for is quite sufficient. as far as the cbs and its programming i think what interests me the most now is we have different reset values on the decline. i believe you had 3 resets before it went to 0. im on my 3rd and although i dont change at same intervals as you i still am able to reset to a mileage other than 0 so far but it does decrease everytime mileage wise. i still get a date of 2016 for my next service date though which is funny considering i do between 3-5k a month.