JMC54
England
Rep
Drives: BMW series 3 325i convertable

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC54 View Post
Hi - I have just checked my service history and can see the fuel injectors were replaced in 2009 and coils in 2012 the car has only done 25000 miles since then. Am I being paranoid in thinking there may be an inherent defect here? If not what could it be?
BMW's are complicated cars. They can and do go wrong from time to time. The fact that you had the injectors replaced does not stop one of them now being faulty. The car may have only travelled 25,000 miles on those injectors but they were replaced 10 years ago!!! That is plenty of time for the seals to break down etc. etc. Same with the coils which were replaced 7 years ago.

I generally only get about 5000 miles from a set of tyres not because I hoon around the Nurburgring but after 8 years on the car they fall apart while they still have 6mm or 7mm of tread left! My 2007 E93 only has 35,000 miles on the clock from new but I still have to fit replacement parts occasionally because the car is 12 years old.

There is no short cut to fixing problems on any car, BMW or not. You have to get your hands dirty or pay someone else to do it for you. I have made suggestions to you regarding your misfire fault code and others have suggested checking which injectors you have fitted even providing photo references.

Get these checks done and by all means come back for advice but repeatedly asking "what is wrong with my car" when you have not carried out any of the suggestions is not going to cure the fault.
Thanks. Perhaps you misunderstood the nature of my enquiry. I completely understand I have to get the works done but as a mechanical novice I was trying to understand the nature of the issue i.e. the difference between a wear and tear mechanical problem and a more serious underlying inherent defect issue.
Appreciate 0