View Single Post
      07-23-2017, 03:26 AM   #1
bimmerlove335
Private
Rep
Drives: Black '09 335i

Easy, effective, BMW tools install on Windows 10 64bit

Hi all,

Here is a relatively simple way to get BMW tools installed on your machine regardless of what windows operating system you're running; it also works on 32 or 64 bit versions. I will tell you up front that this is not my method, but rather BimmerGeek's. Essentially all I've done here is learned his method and compiled some instructions on it. In case you were wondering, I did make this DIY with his permission. Also, this method seems to be very effective and simple, "Mike's Easy BMW Tools" didn't work for me at all, and some of the other methods seem quite involved just to simply install some software.

Included in this software package is INPA, BMW Coding Tool, Dr Gini, NCS Dummy, NCS Expert, Tool32 (EDIABAS), and WINKFP.

Continue at your own risk. I am not responsible in any way for any damage that occurs to your car as a result of this information and software.

The first thing you want to do is download the BimmerGeeks Standard Tools file from his website. The link is bimmergeeks.net/downloads, then click "BMW Standard Tools" and download the .zip file.

Once downloaded, expand the .zip file into a folder of your choosing. At this point you should have several .rar archive files and an executable file in that folder.

Next, select all the .rar files, right click, and chose extract here. We'll need them later.

The first thing you want to do here is run the executable, if you're installing o a newer version of windows you will have to run it in compatibility mode. To do this, right click the .exe -> properties -> compatibility -> "run this in windows 7 compatibility mode". Now you should get through the installer without any problem.

Next what you want to do is go into your C drive and remove several folders completely. Delete the EDIABAS, EC-APPS, and NCEXPER folders from your hard drive.

Now you want to replace them with the ones from the .rar files that we already extracted. Simply move the contents of all the .rar files except OCX into the C drive folder. You should now have folders labeled CODING TOOL, EC-APPS, EDIABAS, NCS_Dummy, and NCSEXPER in your C drive folder.

This is a convenient time to go in and create shortcuts for all the tools. They are listed as follows:
INPA:
C:\EC-APPS\INPA\BIN
Coding Tool:
C:\CodingTool
NCS Dummy:
C:\NCS_Dummy
NCS Expert:
C:\NCSEXPER\BIN
Dr Gini:
C:\EDIABAS\Bin
Tool32 (EDIABAS):
C:\EDIABAS\Bin
winKFP
C:\EC-APPS\NFS\BIN

Now it's time to deal with the OCX files. You want to move the three files into C:\windows\syswow64 or C:\windows\system32 for 32bit.

Next find your CMD prompt application, right click, and click "run as administrator. Run the following commands:

cd c:\windows\syswow64
(press enter)
regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx
(press enter)
regsvr32 msflxgrd.ocx
(press enter)
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

Now exit the command prompt. At this point your software should be functional. BimmerGeeks did some nice things on mine where he changed some icons and names to make it look better. He also put all the shortcuts in one folder on the desktop called BMW and added the BMW icon to it. I can put directions up on how to change icons if you need to know.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there are any steps that are incorrect or unclear. If there's anything I can't figure out I'm sure BimmerGeeks will have no problem with solving it.

I'd like to give a big shout-out and thanks to BimmerGeeks for helping out with this, there really wasn't an easy way to get this software installed (until now) so I'm very appreciative of him sharing this information with us!!!!
Appreciate 10