04-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohab View Post
The 4 rings are your 'Angel Eyes' (Corona Rings). On newer models they can be activated to behave as DRL (Daytime running lights) as well. (I have an '06, where that isn't an option, but I know that it became an option in later years. Don't know the cutoff or transition year tho.)

The first bulb you mentioned, with the big heat sink (sp?) is the Angel eye bulb. The second bulb (the one still in the package) is just a regular low-beam headlight bulb (or high beam. whatever)

Hopefully someone else can chime in as far as installation, since it may be different from my car to yours.

Hope that helps!
To OP, did you search... anywhere? Even the slightest bit of searching would have answered all of this, especially a question as simple as "what are angel eyes"... either in this forum, FS forum... anywhere.

Correct. The 4 rings are the Angel Eyes. If you have an i-drive, you can program the Angel Eyes as DRLs. But, the corner lights will be on. To get them strictly done as DRL, you have to get them coded to run with them on, with DRLs off, and corners off.

Mohab is right for the most part. The first picture is indeed angel eyes. The 2nd picture is an HID bulb. Used to replace low beams or high beams with xenon headlights.

As for installation, all dependent on the production date of your car. 06-beginning of 09, owners have to get into the fender area to get to the lights. Rest of 09-today, The headlight assembly is accessible through the engine bay.