View Single Post
      06-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #249
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterfreeride62 View Post

The best way to get your oil level right is after you install filter/pan and torque the bolts. Is fill the trans until oil comes out the fill plug and loosely install the plug. start the car up and run the trans through the gears with foot on the brake pedal. then shut the car off remove the fill plug and top off the oil level again which could be about two or more liters. loosely install the fill plug and start the car again and run the trans through the gears again. then with car still running check the level again and adjust again if needed. loosely reinstall the plug again. and let the car run until the trans temp is up to the temp written on the trans pan. I used a Non Contact thermometer pointed it at the pan in several locations to get this temp. or if you have device that plugs in the OBD II port and interfaces with the trans ECU and uses the trans temp probe to measure fluid temp. I waited until oil temp was at the upper part of temp scale that is written on the pan then I removed the fill plug and let the excess oil drain out until it was dripping slowly out the fill plug. Then reinstall plug & torque.Take the car for a test drive and warm up trans to operating temps. then check for leaks and if none found you should good to go!!
Tip: make sure the engine is running for the final check on the fill plug.

Story: I just changed my ATF in my 92k mile wagon with Valvoline Synthetic from Amazon ($40 for 6 quarts). I had 5.5 quarts come out, but could only put 4 back in, which made me pretty concerned about driving it. I didn't understand that the transmission would pull fluid in while running. But after reading a ton of posts, and watching some youtube videos, I realized that the engine must be running during for the final check. When I did this, another 1.5 quarts went in! Much smoother shifting now, and no gargling sound. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0