Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Werke View Post
My pup was on Orijen and Acana dry dog food for years. Every boutique pet store said it was one of the best you could get. Well it turns out it was poison. Laced with super high heavy metals. Lead, cadmium, mercury, arsenic etc. Dog (terrier mix) got thyroid cancer at like age 4. All the vets I saw said they had never seen in a young dog. Crazy $ to get tumor removed. Followed by another one on her eye-lid which is also not fun to remove.

Well, shes doing fine now (knock on wood). Been cooking her own food from ground chicken, turkey, bison etc with a lot of vegetables. Lightly cooked with turmeric and some black pepper. I then mix in a little Ziwipeak lamb dry food. The turmeric is for metal detox and a little black pepper helps absorb the turmeric into the blood stream better.

A lawsuit is underway against Champion Pet foods (Orijen / Acana) and I hope they get whats coming to them.
Stop cooking it and stay away from the dry food! It does not matter what dry food you use, it is not healthy. The food manufacturers are only required to tell you what they put into the food not what their suppliers put into it. Example, chicken meat = all the waste chicken, rotten, sick, you name it.. They then cook it, add salt, sugar, ect. Non of which the animals need but it does get them addicted to the taste. Plus, rice and wheat are not needed in a dogs diet.. EVER!
When you cook the meats it takes the minerals and vitamins out that they need.

What my golden loved was ground up raw broccoli with cottage cheese and natural linseed oil (not the refined stuff for woodworking) that was his no meat Thursday breakfast and dinner meal. He use to dance at the kitchen door waiting for it!

Many people think their dogs can't take a raw diet because the first couple of times they feed them they get diarrhea from their body cleansing. That is a good thing, getting rid of the junk in their system.

I forgot to mention why we started Barfing, (bones, and Raw Food), my golden had about a half of his side removed because of cancer and the doctor told us to make him comfortable because he only had about 6 months to live (he was 5) we went all in and changed his diet and had a beautiful active, golden for an additional 6 years until he died of a stroke.
While I agree there is no need for wheat in a dog's food or words like "by-products" in the ingredient list, I disagree with the notion there are no dry dogs foods of reasonable quality. For some dogs with food allergies (commonly chicken and beef in addition to wheat) it is difficult to find food that works for them except from the vet with an Rx and then it is rarely raw.

As far as feeding dogs a raw diet, there can be advantages but there are also risks. For example, raw food is more likely to be contaminated by salmonella or listeria, which can be harmful to the dog and the human handling it. That doesn't mean to imply there are no risks to dry food because there have been plenty of horror stories and recalls of all types of foods. It also doesn't mean I am suggesting people should avoid raw - they just need to understand potential pros and cons.

It's great that it has worked out well for OP, you and others in the thread but everyone should read up on what they feed their pets, dry, canned, raw or otherwise.