View Single Post
      02-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

More 135i/335i Suspension R&D - E9X M3 rear camber link and damper

Okay, so we have done the E9X front M3 tension rods, lower wishbones, and anti-roll bar. Moved on to the rear of the vehicle and done the guide rod, upper camber links, subframe bushings, and the rear anti-roll bar.

It's time to sort out the remaining rear-end pieces, up the spring rates and speed up the respond time on both the spring(lighter springs) and dampers. However, the last piece to be addressed will be the rear toe link, and we are working very closely with "orb" to finalize on the design, this particular R&D will take a few months.

Back to the other rear-end pieces....this process will take several days or maybe longer depends on how much time we have. Rear E9X M3 light weight alloy lower camber links will replace the heavy 135i/335i steel counter parts. The M3 camber link is a good 2 lbs!!! lighter per unit and of a much stronger design with less flex. The dampers will be better positioned to have a quicker reaction time to bumps and no longer be in the soft and flexible 135i/335i rubber saddles. Coil-over style spring with helper spring, proper spring stack adapters, and spring thrust sheets will be used. We will start with a rate of 784 in/lbs and move up from there. Dampers will be Koni double adjustable units valved properly to handle the spring rates we toss at them.

Here are some photos...notice the difference between the E9X M3 lower camber and the 135i/335i piece.

Added a new photo here...R&D is almost done!
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 02-06-2009 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0