View Single Post
      10-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #101
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Pardon my incoherency.
What I was saying is that the service department was not fully diagnosing the problems so they could be certain that they were caused by the tune and not something else. In order for you to be able to say what caused a problem, you must first determine the problem. Once you know the problem you can then determine the cause and also the solution. I am not asking them to do work on the car if the problem was caused by a tune, but I am asking them to make sure that was the cause. I have work orders with a lot of codes and many of them were ignored even though there were bulletins specifically addressing that code.
The manual states that I can take my car to any authorized BMW dealer for service. There are exclusions to the warranty and I am aware of them but In order for them to decline warranty service they must first know what the problem is so that they can say that it is the fault of the aftermarket tune. If i show up with a service engine soon light, they can not just run the diagnostics, pull the codes without researching them and say that is due to an aftermarket tune and leave it at that. They would have to run the diagnostics first. If it came up with FC 2A17 DMTL System Error then since there is a specific SI B that addresses that Fault Code, it would be considered a known issue and not necessarily caused by the aftermarket tune. That would mean it was still covered by BMW factory warranty.
The tune does not void the entire warranty.
Is that a little clearer?
Playing Devil's advocate, I could argue that if the issue is most commonly seen with a particular modification, and you have that modification then the dealership could argue - without running diagnostics - that your mod was at fault.

That said, I've found most dealerships to be pretty reasonable and will only refuse warranty service if it is clear that the mod caused the issue, the car is so heavily modded or the owner makes an ass of themselves.

Your owner's manual and that sticker in your window specifically warns against certain mods and that is what the manufacturer will point to when they deny your warranty service.

Try another dealership and remove the mods that be causing the problem.
Appreciate 0